According to a recent Fox News report on Thursday, September 14, 2023, an Ohio mother has pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the death of her 3-year-old son who drowned in a bathtub while unattended last December.
28-year-old Molly Krebs of Cincinnati reached a plea agreement on Wednesday with prosecutors who agreed to drop additional child endangerment charges against her.
The charges stem from the death of her son Jayden on December 1, 2022.
According to Krebs’ account to police, she had given Jayden Benadryl earlier that evening to treat hives from an allergic reaction.
Feeling exhausted after a long day at work, she then ran a bath for Jayden and left him unattended in the tub for over 90 minutes.
When she returned, she found him unresponsive and called 911.
Jayden was transported to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital but was pronounced dead shortly after arriving.
Krebs was arrested by the Cincinnati Police Department’s Homicide Unit who investigated the incident.
In court, Krebs’ lawyer said she was devastated by the tragic accident. Prosecutors noted that Jayden was left alone in the tub for an extended period of time.
The American Academy of Pediatrics advises against giving Benadryl to children under 6 without a doctor’s approval due to the risk of drowsiness.
Despite being charged in Jayden’s death, a judge had allowed Krebs to attend his funeral in December, where she was described as distraught.
She faces up to 11 years in prison when sentenced later this month for involuntary manslaughter.
Drowning is a leading cause of accidental death for children ages 1-4.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends constant adult supervision whenever infants or toddlers are in bathrooms, near swimming pools, or have access to standing water.
Childproof locks and loud alarms can also restrict access to hazards.
Beyond supervision, teaching kids basic water safety skills as early as age 3 can reduce drowning risks.
This includes swimming lessons, understanding pool rules, and learning to turn over and float if they fall into a pool gates, fences, and door alarms provide additional layers of protection.
While the criminal case deals with whether laws were broken, child welfare advocates stress that oversight lapses can have fatal consequences.
They urge all caregivers to take reasonable steps like never leaving small children alone near water, even for a moment.
This painful case is a reminder of how quickly baths and pools can turn dangerous without proper precautions.
Authorities continue investigating how a routine bath led to such an unthinkable loss of life.
But the ultimate goal is preventing similar tragedies through education and safer practices around children and water.