In the federal criminal case against former President Donald Trump, Special Counsel Jack Smith has introduced a new defendant. Carlos De Oliveira, who serves as the head of maintenance at Mar-a-Lago, now faces charges in a superseding indictment. The charges against him include altering, destroying, mutilating, or concealing a document, making false statements, and conspiring to obstruct justice.
This updated indictment also brings new charges against Trump and his valet, Walt Nauta, who had previously pleaded not guilty. De Oliveira is set to appear in a federal court in Miami for his initial hearing on Monday.
According to a statement from special counsel spokesman Peter Carr, the superseding indictment accuses Trump, De Oliveira, and Nauta of two additional obstruction counts. These charges stem from allegations that the defendants attempted to delete surveillance video footage at The Mar-a-Lago Club during the summer of 2022.
As CNBC detailed:
De Oliveira allegedly told another Mar-a-Lago employee that “the boss” wanted to delete a server containing surveillance footage, according to the superseding indictment.
He also allegedly told the FBI he was not involved in moving documents that officials sought, telling agents, “Never saw anything.”
The indictment further alleges that De Oliveira assisted Nauta in moving boxes of classified documents at Mar-a-Lago after the U.S. Department of Justice had subpoenaed Trump for the remaining records in May of the same year.
In an effort to prevent the security footage from being presented before a federal grand jury, Trump, Nauta, and De Oliveira allegedly requested a Mar-a-Lago staff member to delete it, according to the charges.